Faculty of Science researchers push the boundaries of scientific knowledge and excellence by studying such diverse areas as nanotechnology, quantum computing, and cancer growth.
- In recent years, the Faculty of Science has attracted approximately $42 million in research grants, contracts and special research revenues each year.
- Faculty members in Science hold 13 Canada Research Chairs, 21 have received Premier's Research Excellence Awards, and four are active members in the Royal Society of Canada.
- Faculty members average approximately $5-6 million dollars per annum with grants from the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
- Researchers work closely with industry to find solutions to their most challenging scientific problems. The Faculty earns on a yearly average more than $7 million through industry grants.
- Earth Sciences professor Robert Gillham was appointed to the prestigious Order of Canada, in part for his work developing and directing the Canadian Water Network which aims at ensuring Canada's leadership role in the management, protection and sustainable use of water resources.
- Chemistry professor Tong Leung runs a multi-disciplinary $13 million research facility. Its mission is to acquire an understanding of radiation matter interactions in research and development of new materials using state-of-the-art instrumentation. The laboratory is also one of the premier Nanette laboratories in North America.